Monday, August 24, 2009

Parrots, parrots everywhere. And I don't know which I want.

As a few people may know, for as long as I can remember, I thought it would be cool to own a parrot. Over the last year, I've done a lot of research into parrots - their care, the differences between the personalities of different species, etc. And I still don't know which one I want. :/

There's just so many different species, lots of them with wonderful qualities. I think a lot of the problem narrowing down the "perfect" choices is that there are lots that generally sound good and have most, if not all, of the qualities I want, and the fact that they vary among individuals. For example, Eclectus parrots sound great overall, except that the females (which I think look more beautiful) are more agressive. But then, not ALL females will be like that, so if I talked with a breeder and got the right girl, she might be perfect. Or she might not. Basically, there are species that I love the look of but don't sound perfect, but I still wonder because I might be able to get an individual that was fine.

So, it took me a while to do this because I was keeping everything in my head, but now I'm going to be systematic about it. I'll make a profile for each bird I'm interested in, and then eliminate them that way. I want to make sure I make a good choice, because the bird would be part of my daily life for anywhere from 10-60 years, depending on which species I get.

Pyrhurra conures will have to have their own category, with the differences between different pyrhurras... they all supposedly have the same basic personality, but some people have noticed generic differences. I'll also have to figure out just how effective training can be, especially for things like agression towards people they're not bonded to. I want to know if I could potentially train that problem out. :/

Anyways, this is the list I made of what a parrot will need to have.

REQUIREMENTS:
*All assuming correct training and socialization.

-Cuddly, will be touched anywhere
-Sweet and loving
-Can simply sit and be with you sometimes
-Peaceful, does not bite
-Screams are not very loud or piercing
-Generally uses a soft voice when vocalizing
-Will be friendly to anyone
-Is not overly destructive
-Mimic or speak, even just a couple words.
-Has a little substance to it.
-Not too messy
-Single bird will stay gentle and tame when neglected

And these are the parrots I'll go through (the list will likely be added to and taken away from.)

POTENTIAL BIRDS:

All the Pyrhurra conures
Peach-fronted Conure
Meyer's Parrot
Princess of Wales Parakeet
Hahn's Macaw
Quakers
Peachface Lovebirds
Indian Ringneck
Eclectus (female)
Black-headed Caique

1 comment:

  1. You do realize that no parrot acts anything like this. Also, nothing and no one is "tame and gentle" when neglected. That constitutes a form of abuse, by the way.

    ReplyDelete