Sunday, August 23, 2009

Welcome to my world

Everyone around me seems to be starting a blog. I was debating beginning one, because I already have several for different purposes. But I realized that I have none that I feel I can show to anyone - they're either being used as a diary or a prayer journal for when I want to call out to God, or they're reserved for me and the man I love to write together. But I'd kind of like something that's me, myself, speaking to the world. Saying things I want to say, teaching things I want to teach. That's something pretty strong in me - I want to search for truth, and once I know it, I want everyone around me to know it too. So, I think I'll make this blog. What kind of word is that anyways.. "blog". Hah. :) Well, I'll have to watch myself. I go on lots of tangents, as anyone who decides to read regularly will find.

...I may also need a lot of courage, because I want everyone to think the best of me, and I can see myself being prone to thinking something but not writing it out because I'm afraid that others will think I did something wrong or think less of me, or that Christians with different philosophies will see my pentecostal tendencies and think I'm deceived or something. Really, it's an irony, but I'm more afraid of receiving criticism for my faith from other Christians than I am from non-Christians. And forcing myself to write candidly here, to anyone, may help me break that slowly. I don't want to be afraid of the opinions of men, because no one who did anything great did so without having to push against the tide of popular opinion.

At any rate, I'm not entirely sure what this series of digital letters will be like, other than I will probably try to teach from insights I'm learning throughout my life. If I can help others see more clearly, I will have done much, because so many of the problems in life come from when we are confused and don't know how to judge what's right and what's wrong. I know that's a passion of mine - to learn wisdom, to know what I need to so that I can choose the right path, or know how to find it. I want to know that better. Although I know many times the only reason I went the right way was because God made it "just happen" that way. Still. :)

For my first post, I want to show you all, whoever may be reading or may read this in the future, a song I found a couple years ago. I didn't hear the tune of it until way later, haha, and to be honest, I found the music really boring and uninspiring. I do hope someone remakes this hymn with different music.

But the lyrics... oh, the lyrics. Reading them out loud inspires me. They are so incredibly powerful and beautiful; it makes me imagine a world like that, and gives wonder to the depth of God's love. Especially when you remember, before you read the words, how much can be written on even a single grain of rice.


The Love of God

The love of God is greater far
Than tongue or pen can ever tell;
It goes beyond the highest star,
And reaches to the lowest hell;
The guilty pair, bowed down with care,
God gave His Son to win;
His erring child He reconciled,
And pardoned from his sin.

Chorus:
O love of God, how rich and pure!
How measureless and strong!
It shall forevermore endure
The saints and angels song.

When years of time shall pass away,
And earthly thrones and kingdoms fall,
When men, who here refuse to pray,
On rocks and hills and mountains call,
Gods love so sure, shall still endure,
All measureless and strong;
Redeeming grace to Adams race
The saints and angels song.

Chorus:
O love of God, how rich and pure!
How measureless and strong!
It shall forevermore endure
The saints and angels song.

Could we with ink the ocean fill,
And were the skies of parchment made,
Were every stalk on earth a quill,
And every man a scribe by trade,
To write the love of God above,
Would drain the ocean dry.
Nor could the scroll contain the whole,
Though stretched from sky to sky.

Chorus:
O love of God, how rich and pure!
How measureless and strong!
It shall forevermore endure
The saints and angels song.

No comments:

Post a Comment